HOME

About WNPS
Administration
Calendar
Contact WNPS
History
How to Donate
Membership
Online Store

Activities
Conservation
Ecosystems
Education
Landscaping
Native Plant Lists
Publications
Research
Restoration

Local Chapters
Field Trips
Programs
Plant Sales
Volunteer

Photo Gallery

Priorities
Garry Oak
Invasive Species
Shrub-Steppe

Programs
Growing Wild
Ivy OUT
WNPS Stewards

An Affiliate of

Earthshare of Washington

A heavily wooded hillside and ravine, Interlaken Park forms the division between Capitol Hill to the south and Montlake to the north.

A heavily wooded hillside and ravine, Interlaken Park forms the division between Capitol Hill to the south and Montlake to the north.

Home > Native Plant Stewardship Program > King County > Stewards and the Green Seattle Partnership

Interlaken Park

Interlaken Park is 52 acres of a densely wooded area on the north end of Capitol Hill. The paths and trails throughout the park are frequented by bikers, hikers and joggers.

History

In the 1890’s, Interlaken Boulevard was the principal bike and buggy path linking Capitol Hill with the boulevards on Lake Washington. Assistant City Engineer George F. Cotterill, conscious of the hazards of biking on city streets lined with planks, toured the city to look for good bikeways. His bike trails formed the basis of the city’s boulevard system, and in 1903, the Olmsted Brothers approved Interlaken as a boulevard route. It soon became popular with walkers and auto drivers, who appreciated the views of mountains and lakes. (Excerpt from the files of Don Sherwood, 1916-1981, Park Historian)

2007 Restoration Site and Project Team