HOME

About WNPS
Administration
Calendar
Contact WNPS
History
How to Donate
Membership
Online Store

Activities
Conservation
Ecosystems
Education
Landscaping
Native Plant Lists
Publications
Research
Restoration

Local Chapters
Field Trips
Programs
Plant Sales
Volunteer

Photo Gallery

Priorities
Garry Oak
Invasive Species
Shrub-Steppe

Programs
Growing Wild
Ivy OUT
WNPS Stewards

An Affiliate of

Earthshare of Washington

Deadhorse Canyon.

Home > Native Plant Stewardship Program > King County > Stewards and the Green Seattle Partnership

Lakeridge Park

Lakeridge Park is a natural area park that is 36 acres of forested canyon located in South Seattle near Lake Washington. The canyon is the lowest point of the Taylor Creek Watershed.

History

Lakeridge Park was named in 1947 by The Seattle Planning Commission. The park was once known as "Dead Horse Canyon", named in 1909 by homesteaders Chas J Walker upon the death and dehydration of a horse which had long roamed the area and been a pet of pioneer children.
(Excerpt from the files of Don Sherwood, 1916-1981, Park Historian)

Although it was once used as a dumping ground, active community involvement over the last 15 years has built up the park’s reputation as one of the city’s most beautiful parks.

2007 Restoration Site and Project Team
2008 Restoration Site and Project Team

2008 Restoration Project Overview
Native Plant Stewardship Restoration Project Site (PDF)
Deadhorse Canyon Southwest Edge Zone Restoration Project (PDF)